John is currently serving as an independent compliance auditor for a self-regulatory organization that is under a Securities and Exchange Commission enforcement agreement for securities regulations violations. Recently, John completed a successful compliance monitorship for a financial institution that was under a deferred prosecution agreement with the Department of Justice for aiding and abetting wire fraud and for willfully failing to implement an effective anti- money laundering program.
Senor Managing Director
Treliant, LLC, Washington, DC
2016 - Present
Serves as a consultant, trusted advisor and independent compliance monitor for banks and other financial institutions in the following areas:
• Independent Compliance Monitorships
• Consumer Banking (Retail, Mortgage & Credit Card)
• Board and Corporate Governance
• Bank Regulatory, BSA/AML, Compliance & Consumer Protection
• Regulatory Relationship Management
• Federal and State Government Relations
• Control & Operational Risk Management
Chairman and Member, Board of Directors
Banamex USA, Century City, CA
2013 – 2016
Served as Chairman of the Board of a state chartered Bank, wholly owned by Citigroup.
- Provided leadership to the bank’s board and management to ensure effective oversight of the bank’s remediation efforts related to a BSA/AML consent order enforcement action and other regulatory enforcement actions.
- Successfully led the bank in its effort to develop and implement its self-liquidation plan.
- Served as the principle point of contact with the bank’s regulators and rebuilt its credibility.
- Enhanced the overall management and governance of the institution, recruited independent directors, vastly improving oversight of the bank.
Citigroup, New York, NY
2006 - 2016
Senior Executive Vice President
Bank of America and MBNA America Bank, N.A., Wilmington, DE
1997 - 2006
Federal Emergency Management Agency, Washington, DC
Chief Counsel, Office of Presidential Personnel
The White House, Washington, DC
Of Counsel and Associate
Paul Hastings, Washington, DC
1985 - 1993
Judicial Law Clerk
U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, Washington, DC
1983 - 1985
J.D. - Georgetown University Law Center, Washington, DC
A.B. - Georgetown College, Washington, DC
Member, International Association of Independent Compliance Monitors
Member, District of Columbia Bar
Member, New York State Bar